The exam dates for GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) 2018 have been announced on its official website.
The exam is conducted for admissions to post-graduate programmes (e.g., M.E., M.Tech, direct Ph.D.) in Indian institutes of higher education with financial assistance provided by the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) and other government agencies.
1. Preparation time for GATE depends on many factors, such as individual's aptitude, attitude, fundamentals, concentration level, etc
2. Generally, rigorous preparation for four to six months is considered good, but it may vary from student to student
3. Candidate should refer to the syllabus and analyse the exam pattern using previous years' papers and prepare accordingly
4. It is important to know what to study, but it is more important to know what not to study
5. A clear understanding of the underlying concepts is a must since the questions asked in GATE exam will test the level and depth of understanding of concepts
6. As all subjects don't have equal marks, few subjects are preferred over others
7. Make a list of topics which need to be studied based on the number of questions which have appeared from the topic in the previous years' GATE examinations
8. Identify topics which have fetched more marks and give more importance to them during your preparation
9. Create a timetable for study of topics and follow it strictly. While studying any topic, make sure to highlight important points like key definitions, equations, derivations, theorems, laws, etc
10. Allocate preparation time to subjects based on the number and frequency of questions asked in previous examinations.